In 1161 King Malcolm IV of Scotland, granted to the Monks of Newbattle the land now called Monklands. The Church was founded in 1170 A.D. by the monks of Newbattle Abbey and the present Church was built in 1790 (B listed category).  

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
In 1780 the Reverend John Bower, then Minister of Old Monkland, described Old Monkland as an immense garden with its fields, orchards and rivers abounding with salmon and trout.  
 
 
 
 
   
 
 
 
 
 
  
The Church building is in good condition and the interior has recently been upgraded.            
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  
 

      

 

Picture of church from the Old Monkland Cemetary.

       

 

  

 

 

 

The present organ is an "Allen" 4 digital computer model.

     

 

 

                            

  

 

 

The Session House is detached from the Church although still within the church grounds.  It has 2 rooms and a toilet.

 

 

   

 

 

The Church Halls are detached from the Church and were built in 1950 and comprise the following excellent facilities:-

Large Hall which accommodates 340 seated

Small Hall which accommodates 40 seated

Upper Room which accommodates 25 seated

 

  

 

 

 

Also within the Church Hall are kitchen facilities, ladies and gents toilets and a toilet with disabled access.  A ramp is also provided from the car park.

 

 

   

 

The manse is detached from the Church and is a very desirable attractive modern house built in 1981 by Leech Homes Ltd. The structure is timber framed and was supplied by Avonside Homes. It has gas central heating, double glazing, burglar alarms fitted and it also features a double garage.

Downstairs the Manse has 3 public rooms, a study, a large kitchen, utility room and downstairs toilet. 

Upstairs the Manse has 4 bedrooms, one with en suite and a separate bathroom.

The Manse is detached and is situated in a nearby small estate. It has easy access to the Church Hall and there is a nice garden all round with well maintained grounds.